January 28, 2010

The Pledge...

So I talked with my best friend the other day and she mentioned the issue of talking and texting while driving.  We talked a little about it and of course Oprah was mentioned.  I tivo Oprah everyday but usually just delete the show because I don't have a lot of time to watch tv and when I do I don't usually indulge in Oprah unless it is an interesting topic.  Thanks to Jenn, I chose to watch this specific episode about texting & talking while driving.  It changed my total outlook on distracted driving.  I felt like this show was talking to me.  I mean I wasn't as bad as some of the people on the show but I am definitely guilty of texting occasionally and definitely talking while driving.  It is a horrible habit of mine to make my daily phone calls while I am driving.  And I have to say I do not pay as much attention.  I will get in the car, start a conversation and talk during my entire trip to where I am going and sometimes I realize once there and off the phone that I don't remember a thing about my drive.  I don't remember changing lanes or looking around me.  It is so horrible!! What kind of example am I setting for my kids?!  When they see me on my phone while driving they are going to grow up thinking its ok and do it too.   I mean really...my life, my kids lives, my husband's life and the lives of the others around me are not worth that conversation.  I have decided NO MORE talking or doing anything on my phone while I am driving  My car is officially a NO PHONE ZONE!!  I am taking the pledge (go to Oprah.com), making the commitment, taking a stand & making a change!  "Don't tempt fate, that text can wait"  Oprah and Jennifer inspired me and I hope to inspire you to do the same!!!!!!!!!

http://www.oprah.com/questionaire/ipledge.html?id=4

No comments:

Post a Comment